(Read Time: 1 minute)
While there is no denying that Amazon is the king of eCommerce, here are few things that you may not have known about the online retailer:
- The internet store Amazon.com was created on July 5, 1994.
- During Amazon’s first month in business, it received orders from customers in 50 US states and 45 countries across the world.
- In 1997, Barnes & Noble sued Amazon, alleging that Earth’s Largest Bookstore was a false claim. They eventually settled out of court with Amazon continuing to use their slogan.
- The site once went down for 49 minutes and the company missed nearly $5.7 million in sales.
- Despite being founded in 1994 it took until 2004 for Amazon to record an annual net profit for the first time.
- The first book sold on Amazon.com was Fluid Concepts & Creative Analogies by Douglas Hofstadter.
- On the Amazon.com logo, the arrow is directed from a to z, which means that anything can be bought on Amazon.com
- Amazon’s founder Jeff Bezos is the richest person on earth, with 111.2 billion US dollars, according to the “Forbes” magazine.
- The first-generation Kindle was released on November 19, 2007 and was sold for $ 399.
- Amazon employs over 563,000 people across the globe, more than Google, Facebook and Alibaba combined.